As saving the environment becomes an ever more urgent issue, it falls on every single one of us to make a change, no matter how small. One easy place to begin is by switching your batteries to the rechargeable kind. With all the technological strides made in rechargeable batteries in recent years, there’s no reason not to make the switch.
Modern rechargeables combine optimised performance, smart features and high capacity into a single package that can help you save money and reduce waste almost immediately. Keep reading for some of the major benefits.
Rechargeables are highly effective in reducing your carbon footprint, as one rechargeable battery can replace thousands of single-use batteries. GP ReCyko rechargeable batteries go one step further by using more than 10% recycled materials in their construction.
As well as preventing thousands of single-use batteries from ending up in the landfill, rechargeables greatly reduce the money spent on batteries thanks to the ability to use them over and over again. By using and charging rechargeables in a proper manner, you can prolong the battery life, saving even more money in the long run.
Simply having two sets of rechargeable batteries means you always have a spare set ready to use. Rechargeables can also be easily recharged via USB and wall outlets.
Like any battery, knowing how to use rechargeables correctly is the key to prolonging the battery’s life and maximizing its efficiency.
Here, you will learn how to properly use, charge and store rechargeable batteries.
How to use
In most cases, rechargeable batteries can be used in the same manner as any other alkaline battery. Just pop them into the battery compartment of your device to get powered up right away! Do avoid leaving a rechargeable battery in a device that is turned on after the battery is completely run down, as continued drain on a discharged battery can cause the battery to reverse polarity and stop working.
How to charge
Correctly charging your batteries can greatly prolong their use. We recommend using a smart charger that automatically switches off after a full charge to avoid battery damage. Always choose the right charger for your batteries, according to their chemistry and voltage. When charging batteries in pairs, the two batteries must be of same capacity and charge level to allow effective charging. Finally, wipe your battery compartment occasionally with a rough cloth to keep them dust-free.
How to store
All GP ReCyko charger units double as storage for rechargeable batteries. Combined with a low self discharge rate, they can retain up to 80% charge after one year for instant usability. However, avoid leaving batteries in a fully discharged state for long periods, as this may reduce their capacity. Lastly, avoid placing batteries in direct sunlight or in the refrigerator. Take proper care of your rechargeables, and you’ll be rewarded with years of use to come.
Learn more about our GP rechargeable batteries and charger ranges
Though rechargeables offer a plethora of functional, environmental and cost-saving advantages over single-use batteries, there are still some instances where the latter are the preferred option.
As alkaline batteries normally carry a higher voltage (1.5V) than rechargeables (1.2V), you should only use batteries that match the voltage requirements of your devices. For example, if a device requires a 1.5V battery, you will need to use alkaline batteries. Otherwise, the difference in voltage will cause the device to not function properly, or not to work at all.
Thanks to their much longer shelf life, in some cases up to a decade, single-use batteries are more suitable for devices such as torches or radios in disaster preparedness kits.
In situations where it’s difficult to charge electronic devices, such as camping or backpacking trips, alkaline batteries are a safer bet as you’ll have a better idea of how much charge they have. Another solution can be found in the GP Charge Anyway, which provides a 2-in-1 power solution that’s ideal for camping.
Learn more about general battery types, battery maintenance, and how to dispose of batteries safely
Be creative and win GP ReCyko Speed Charger
It’s the time of the year to binge watch all your favourite Chinese New Year classic movies and enter to win a GP ReCyko Speed Charger! Simply add or change a word of a movie title to boost up the Chinese New Year vibe.
Gift: GP ReCyko Speed Charger (USB) M451 4-slot NiMH with 4 x AA 2,600mAh NiMH Batteries
Deadline: 14-02-2021 23:59
The contest has ended. Thank you for your participation
Please stay tuned and visit our Latest Offers for more promotion details.
*Terms & conditions
- Each participant must like "GP Batteries Hong Kong" Facebook fan page, the post, and share on Facebook to public.
- Participants must follow all instructions to take part in the game, or else they will be disqualified. GP Battery Marketing (HK) Limited will shortlist the winners based on the selection criteria stated.
- Delivery by SF Express. Free shipping within Hong Kong SAR, while additional fee may apply for remote areas and outlaying islands. For more information, please visit: https://www.sf-express.com/hk
- Each participant shall only submit one answer in each phase. Any participant who summits more than one answer, only the first submission record will be regarded as qualified.
- Each participant can only be granted for one prize in each phase. Any participant who wins more than once, GP Battery Marketing (HK) Limited reserves the right to cancel his/her eligibility and select other candidates to make up for the prize.
- If no participant can complete all specified steps, GP Battery Marketing (HK) Limited reserves the right to make the final decision.
- The result will be released on "GP Batteries Hong Kong" Facebook fan page within 5 working days after the event ends. Prize redemption details will be shared afterward. If GP Battery Marketing (HK) Limited is unable to contact the winner within 7 days, eligibility of the winner will be disqualified.
- All prizes are non-transferable and cannot be redeemed for cash in part or whole. If for any reason the described gifts cannot be provided, GP Battery Marketing (HK) Limited reserves the right to replace all or part of the prizes with other gifts of equal or higher value.
- GP Battery Marketing (HK) Limited takes no responsibility for any prizes that are damaged, lost or stolen once they have been collected.
- Information collected, including your name, phone number and email address, will be used for the purpose of notifying you if you win the game, and sending promotional materials about GP Battery Marketing (HK) Limited.
- GP Battery Marketing (HK) Limited employees, their families and partners will not be eligible to participate in the event.
- If there is any dispute, GP Battery Marketing (HK) Limited reserves the right to make the final decision.
- GP Battery Marketing (HK) Limited reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the event, and amend the terms and conditions of the event without prior notice. Participants must fully agree to comply. For any enquiries, please email to email@example.com